Position: Full-Time Animal Caregiver
Department: Farrowing or Breeding
Summary of Position
Provides daily care to sows and piglets as a team member of the Farrowing or Breeding Department following standard work instructions in a Commercial Swine Operation.
- Provide daily care to sows, piglets, and wean/feeder pigs to ensure proper feed, water and air is available
- Maintain and monitor overall animal health, care and treatment by Tyson and PQA+ standards including recorded keeping therein
- Adhere to all company policies at all times, including Animal Welfare, Bio-Security and Safety
- Maintain accurate production records following company SOPs and protocols
- Move animals using safe handling practices
- Administer routine and seasonal vaccinations and injections or suggested by veterinarian
- Maintain proper barn environment through ventilation protocols
- Animal feeding and nutrition management
- Monitor water usage and adjustment ensuring animals are provided with clean fresh water at all times
- General facility cleaning, maintenance and hygiene
- This would include, but not be limited to:
- Pressure Washing/ Disinfecting per SOP
- Performing laundry/ Office cleaning duties
Track every animal on the farm by ID and current status Farrowing Department Responsibilities
- Assist farrowing sows and attend to newborn piglets
- Prepare room for farrowing to ensure proper supplies are available
- Process piglets according to company protocols
- Wean piglets to nursery
Breeding Department Responsibilities
- Performing breeding/insemination processes by means of PCAI or Traditional Mating
- Monitor, test and care for pregnant sows
- 1+ years previous experience in commercial swine production required.
- Respect and care for all animals is required. The ideal candidate will possess experience in creating a culture of respect and care for all animals.
- Knowledge and enforcement of the latest industry biosecurity best practices must be observed and enforced throughout the farm.
- Individual must be dedicated, goal-oriented, motivated and able to work effectively as a team member
- Positive, friendly and respectful demeanor at all times
- Must be a self-starter that can operate at times unsupervised
- Ability to do basic math - addition, subtraction, and multiplication
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Regular, consistent attendance is required with the availability to work every other weekend, as well as flexibility in hours during health and staffing challenges.
- Ability to lift, move or carry up to 50 pounds with reasonable accommodation
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel, and squat for extended period of time on varied surfaces and capable of being on their feet for up to 10 hours a day
- Ability to work in noise levels that may require hearing protection
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, balance, and climb over gates up to 48 inches in height
- Must possess ambulatory skills sufficient to move throughout the farm
- Must possess good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including the use of hands to finger, handle, grasp or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals
Brenneman Pork offers a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, paid time off, and retirement plan.
Brenneman Pork is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
Our foundation is built on our Core Values:
TEAMWORK | ACCOUNTABILITY | WORK ETHIC | LOYALTY | INTEGRITY