Job Title: Research Manager
Department/Location of Position: Swine/Washington, IA
Position Reports To: Head of Research
Summary of Position: Direct oversight of the daily operations and communication of Brenneman Pork research finishers and nurseries, as well as direct supervision of 3-4 employees.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Understand all aspects of electronic feed system and how to run the complete system
- Able to maintain the feed system, perform maintenance, and how to troubleshoot problems
Research Processes, Validations, Data and Recordkeeping
- Maintain 100% confidentiality on all operational and research procedures
- Understand all research processes and carry them out in accordance to maintain a 1% level of error or less
- Record and use all recordkeeping and budgeting tools created for research
- Collect daily barn readings and complete daily paperwork
- Complete weekly validations and how to validate data
- Maintain, run, and validate all research scales and equipment
- Collect and submit feed samples for research trials. Sustain the correct feed levels in the feeder as well as in the feed pan
- Order feed in accordance with the current research protocol with the correct diets, and give the mill at least 24 hours notice to prepare the order
- Maintain and run the equipment on the feed bins. Also know how and why to rotate feed bins
- This position requires 45+ hours per week along with every other weekend. Good attendance is critical
- Understand extended hours may be needed on processing days such as: allotting, weighing, marketing, barn setup, or due to equipment breakdowns/maintenance
- This also includes scheduled weekends, scheduled holidays, and being available for after-hours alarm calls and emergencies
- Accountable for answering and responding all alarm calls
- Understand all the needs of a wean-to-finish pig and perform daily caretaking suited to the age of the pig and present situation
- Understand the current research project’s goals and protocols
- Keep accurate written and computer records as required by trial protocols
- Correctly administer medications, as necessary, and understand their value in conjunction with animal age, environment, vaccination timing, symptoms present and withdrawals
- Proper and timely administration of vaccines so they can be the most effective
- Learn and run the Maximus ventilation controllers to make needed ventilation changes, collect data, troubleshooting, and general maintenance
- Perform general maintenance on site equipment, including but not limited to, feeders, waters, inlets, inlet motors, curtains, curtain motors, gates, feed lines, feed motors, slats, flooring, water lines, fans, louvers, etc
- Ensure all fans, back-up thermostats, e-drops, and generators are working, on a weekly basis
- Keep site(s) clean inside and out.
- Notify management of needed supplies, problems, questions, and concerns in a timely manner for the situation.
- Correctly handle pigs according to their size and age during various required movements, including but not limited to, loading and unloading trucks, allotting, weighing, marketing, and sorting.
- When necessary, humanely euthanize animals in accordance with current PQA+ guidelines.
- As needed, collect diagnostics tissue sets, oral fluids, fecal samples, and draw blood from all ages of pigs and fill out and submit the associated paperwork.
- Oversee all aspects of biosecurity as defined by the site. This includes, but is not limited to, employees, non-employees, equipment, and supplies.
- Remain compliant with all PQA+ and TQA practices and certifications.
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Animal Science, Agricultural Business or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience in commercial swine facilities
- 2+ years of experience in personnel management
- Knowledge of research protocol execution and data collection
- Interest or passion for producing quality pork
- Excellent interpersonal & communications skills with ability to work effectively with others in a positive manner
- Able to operate and communicate effectively in a fast-paced system
- Excellent time management & organizational skills, with ability to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to perform job duties without close supervision
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to achieve consistent results
- Knowledge of and ability to follow company policies and procedures precisely
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Critical thinking and informed decision-making abilities
- Demeanor should be friendly, positive, helpful, and respectful
- Ability to use a computer effectively, including use of MS Excel, Office & Outlook
- Ability to lift, move or carry up to 50 pounds with reasonable accommodation
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel, and squat for extended period on varied surfaces and capable of being on their feet for up to 10 hours a day
- Ability to work in noise levels that may require hearing protection
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, balance, and climb over gates up to 48 inches in height
- Must possess ambulatory skills sufficient to move throughout the farm
Brenneman Pork offers a full range of benefits including health care, life insurance, paid time off, and retirement plan.
Brenneman Pork is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
Our foundation is built on our Core Values:
TEAMWORK | ACCOUNTABILITY | WORK ETHIC | LOYALTY | INTEGRITY